Artists who wanted to develop a company dedicated to creativity and professionalism founded Cape Rep Theatre in 1986. The company has worked hard to choose plays and musicals that continually challenge the artists who work here whether those artists are actors, designers, directors or technicians. We want to work with the best theater we can find. Often our choices are works that may not ordinarily be produced because we try not to let size of cast, degree of difficulty, or relative obscurity step in the way of choosing a show. And, most importantly, we have and will continue to produce new work.
After several nomadic early years, Cape Rep Theatre found a spot to call home and now occupies land purchased by the state in 1983 from the former Camp Monomoy. In 1991, we successfully sought legislation to enable the Commonwealth to enter into a long-term lease with Cape Rep to rehabilitate several former camp buildings into a performing arts center. That project is comprised of the following structures:
The Indoor Theater was built in 1959 and used as a dining hall by Camp Monomoy. We opened this 129-seat theater in 1997 and now operate a five-play indoor theater subscription season from May through early December. Our hope is that soon we will expand the lobby, creating a more inviting space for our audiences, a tech booth for the Indoor Theater, larger bathrooms and an addition which will provide us administrative offices for our staff and link our Studio Theater to the new lobby.
The Outdoor Theater is the only outdoor theater on Cape Cod. We rehabilitated this structure in 1992 with the help of Edward Bangs Kelley and Elza Kelley Foundation, a dedicated group of volunteers, and some terrific contributions from the local business community. We have produced everything from Shakespeare to Agatha Christie in this performance space. We also produce daytime children’s shows here all summer long.
The Cape House is at the entrance from Route 6A. Portions of the house date to 1790, but Isaac F. and Sarah Crosby “modernized” it in the late 19th century. The camp used it to house summer employees. In 2010 we completed its renovation into housing for employees and artists. We received a $200,000 grant from the Town of Brewster Community Preservation Act Grant Program, $150,000 from the Massachusetts Cultural Facilities Fund, generous support from the Mary Louise and Ruth Eddy Foundation, and countless donations from individual supporters. We now have a home for creativity and have preserved an historic structure for future generations to enjoy.
The Barn is the building you walked past to get to the Indoor Theater. It was built in the late 19th century at the rear of the Crosby Cape House on Route 6A. The Camp moved it to its present location, altered it in a variety of ways, and used it for arts and crafts and movies. A generous donation from Mary Louise and Ruth Eddy Foundation helped us begin plans for its rehabilitation. With the addition of a $225,000 grant from the Town of Brewster’s Community Preservation Act funds and $125,000 Massachusetts Cultural Council Facilities Fund grant, the first phase of the Barn rehabilitation effort is happening late 2016/early 2017. When completed, the Barn will be fully restored, offering us a different performance venue for production and special events, classroom space and community building. For more information about the Barn…
The Indoor Theater
The Outdoor Theater
The Cape House